Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Lord I Would Follow Thee

"Life is perfect for none of us. Rather than being judgmental and critical of each other, may we have the pure love of Christ for our fellow travelers in this journey through life. May we recognize that each one is doing [his or] her best to deal with the challenges which come [his or] her way, and may we strive to do our best to help out."
—Thomas S. Monson, "Charity Never Faileth"
 
President Thomas S. Monson - what an inspired man.   In a small part I believe I have acquired this perspective over the course of my life.  I know at times I have been perfect at keeping this perspective and have caught myself judging something a person does, BUT thankfully this is something that I do not regularly struggle with--speaking of judging/criticizing others.

Growing up I was constantly setting personal goals and this was one of them. Much of the credit for this motivation goes towards my wonderful parents, leaders, seminary teachers, and friends at school, and of course my husband :).  Also, Young Women personal progress had a huge impact with training me on the importance of stepping back and taking a look at my life -- evaluating, changing, and molding myself into who I want to be.  I'm still working on becoming more and better.  I always have new things I want to try, do, and become so I know it is an ongoing thing :)

I once heard a statement in high school seminary or college institute, that I wrote in my scriptures...somewhere :)... that went somehting like this:

The most difficult battles will be fought within the silent chambers of one's own soul.

And that makes me think....and has made me think time and time again, that we really have NO idea what people go through in their personal lives, so who are we to judge?

I always think about 2 examples John Bytheway gave in one of his talks:

--The woman who comes into work and looks less than ready for the day... some are quick to judge how awful she looks and will begin whispering among themselves.  What they don't know is that she was up with her sick child all night. 

--The crazy driver on the road who cut you off -- first reaction may have been to scream and yell at them -- 1) They can't hear you 2) if you have kids in the car, WHAT an example you just set  3) Perhaps that person is frantically rushing to the hospital because they just learned their spouse was in an accident.

The song "Lord I Would Follow Thee" fits perfectly:
"Who am I to judge my brother when I walk imperfectly? In the silent heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can't see.  Who am I to judge another? Lord, I would follow Thee."

In this last General Conference, one thing that really made an impression on me was Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's address where he gave his interpretation of the Savior's question to Peter:  
Do. You. Love. Me?  
If so, then the call is clear: do and become who the Savior would want me to be and do it with HIS help in HIS time and way.   This past weekend,my determination was renewed:  
 
Lord, I would follow Thee.

1 comment:

  1. You summed it up perfectly. I loved Elder Holland's talk. So powerful. Who ARE we to judge another when we ourselves are NOT perfect. Great reminder, thanks!

    ReplyDelete